Subject: Re: [PATCH 01/16] bisect: write about `bisect next` in documentation

From: Stephan Beyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 14:45:23 +0100

Hi,

On 02/26/2016 07:47 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> But I wonder if it is safe and sane to encourage "checking out other
> branches during a bisect session." as you cannot tell what other
> crazy things they will do while on "other branches".  I do not think
> we even try to (and I do not think we should) handle a case where
> the user tries to merge another branch, sees conflicts and says
> "bisect next" without cleaning up, for example.

I rephrase it as follows to not encourage checking out another branch
(or commit ;]) but to mention that it works to get back if someone
accidentally did it.

--8<--8<--8<--

Bisect next
~~~~~~~~~~~

In case you have marked a commit as bad but you do not know a good
commit, you do not have to crawl through the commit history yourself to
find a good commit. Simply issue the command:

------------
$ git bisect next
------------

This command is also handy when you accidentally checked out another
commit during a bisection. It computes the commit for the bisection
and checks it out again.

-->8-->8-->8--

Is that better?

Thanks,
Stephan