Subject: [PATCH v4 2/7] bisect: read bisect paths with strbuf_getline()

From: Moritz Neeb <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 09:36:20 +0100

The file BISECT_NAMES is written by "git rev-parse --sq-quote" via
sq_quote_argv() when starting a bisection. It can contain pathspecs
to narrow down the search. When reading it back, it should be expected that
sq_dequote_to_argv_array() is able to parse this file. In fact, the
previous commit ensures this.

As the content is of type "text", that means there is no logic expecting
CR, strbuf_getline_lf() will be replaced by strbuf_getline().

Apart from whitespace added and removed in quote.c, no other whitespaces
are expected. While it is technically possible, we have never advertised
this file to be editable by user, or encouraged them to do so. As a
consequence, the parsing of BISECT_NAMES is tightened by removing
strbuf_trim().

For the case that this file is modified nonetheless, in an invalid way
such that dequoting fails, the error message is broadened to both cases:
bad quoting and unexpected whitespace.

Helped-by: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Moritz Neeb <[email-masked]>
---
 bisect.c | 5 ++---
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

diff --git a/bisect.c b/bisect.c
index 7996c29..f63aa10 100644
--- a/bisect.c
+++ b/bisect.c
@@ -440,10 +440,9 @@ static void read_bisect_paths(struct argv_array *array)
 	if (!fp)
 		die_errno("Could not open file '%s'", filename);
 
-	while (strbuf_getline_lf(&str, fp) != EOF) {
-		strbuf_trim(&str);
+	while (strbuf_getline(&str, fp) != EOF) {
 		if (sq_dequote_to_argv_array(str.buf, array))
-			die("Badly quoted content in file '%s': %s",
+			die("Badly quoted content or unexpected whitespace in file '%s': %s",
 			    filename, str.buf);
 	}
 
-- 
2.4.3