Subject: Re: "./t0001-init.sh --valgrind" is broken

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 19:17:34 +0100

Am 03.03.2016 um 13:09 schrieb Duy Nguyen:
> +the-other-Johannes who added valgrind support.
>
> On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 1:55 PM, Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> ---- 8< ----
>> Subject: [PATCH] t0001: fix GIT_* environment variable check under --valgrind
>>
>> When a test case is run without --valgrind, the wrap-for-bin.sh
>> helper script inserts the environment variable GIT_TEXTDOMAINDIR, but
>> when run with --valgrind, the variable is missing. A recently
>> introduced test case expects the presence of the variable, though, and
>> fails under --valgrind.
>
> Yep.
>
> It's interesting though that valgrind sets up some variables without
> going through bin-wrappers. That's understandable because valgrind
> support is added (in 4e1be63) 10 months before bin-wrappers (in
> ea92519).  But it's probably better that we inject valgrind command
> from inside bin-wrappers script, the same way we inject gdb, I think.
>
>> Rewrite the test case to strip conditially defined environment variables
>> from both expected and actual output.
>
> Or we could set GIT_TEXTDOMAINDIR in the "if test -n $valgrind" code
> in test-lib.sh, which makes the two more consistent. Also simpler
> patch.

My fix (or something along its lines) is needed nevertheless. Just 
s/--valgrind/--with-dashes/g in the commit message if you want to fix 
the --valgrind case differently ;-)

I run tests on Windows --with-dashes in the hopes that it saves a fork 
and exec or two on every git invocation.

-- Hannes