Subject: Re: [PATCH v6 4/4] config: add '--show-origin' option to print the origin of a config value

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 19:36:31 +0100

Am 03.03.2016 um 08:38 schrieb Lars Schneider:
> (1) If I have a Git core branch with a some changes that builds and
> tests clean on Linux and OSX. How do I apply all the necessary Git for
> Windows specific changes to this branch?

How do you do it when you make a patch on Linux and want to test it on 
OSX, or the other way around? It's the same with Windows, I would guess.

*I* would export the Linux directory for Windows using Samba and then 
fetch and push from the Windows side. I would *not* develop on Windows 
in the exported Samba directory directly. If Samba is too hairy, 
exchange git bundles on a USB stick.

> (2) During my testing with Windows I noticed that the git config
> paths look funny by adding ("\\" and "/"). I mentioned the problem in
> the Gitfor Windows forum:
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/git-for-windows/zTv60HhfnYk
> Duy suggested a solution in that thread. Is this the default way
> todeal with the paths? Would the list accept this solution?

IMHO, the solution is misguided. Either --show-origin is plumbing, then 
we need the quoting. Or it is porcelain, then the quoting can be removed 
(and it is not necessary to "prettify" the file names on Windows). I 
tend to categorize --show-origin as procelain.

> (3) The tests on Windows seemed very slow to me. Are there tricks to
> speed them up? Did you try a RAM disk? If yes, how do you do it?

Run on SSD (and be prepared to swap it out for a new one within a year 
or two) ;-)

Really, there doesn't seem to be much you can do. Run the tests 
--with-dashes to save a shell wrapper around git.exe.

Unfortunately, Windows does not have RAM disks built in. I would 
appreciate any hints in this direction as well.

-- Hannes