Subject: git-completion.bash emitting error messages

From: Дилян Палаузов <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 22:21:23 +0100

Hello,

I use ./bash 4.3.42 with bundled libreadline and 
git/contrib/completion/git-completion.bash , as modified by commit 
8716bdca268 from 22 Feb 2016.

I cd to git.git (non-bare, with working tree) and type

git b62c.. ori<TAB> to force TAB-completion. And then on the shell comes 
the output  (on the same line) "error: key does not contain variable 
name: alias.b62c.."  Pressing again TAB repeats the message.  Even if 
TAB is pressed once, the printed text cannot be deleted with the 
backspace, so the only way to do something useful is to press ENTER.

While the command is indeed nonsense, in my understanding tab-completion 
shall do nothing, if completion is not possible.  In particular it shall 
not print error messages and even the user types stupid things, he shall 
not be required to force ENTER to come back to a clear state, where a 
command can by types.

Greetings
   Dilian