Subject: Re: [PATCH 00/21] replacement for dt/refs-backend-lmdb v7 patch 04/33

From: Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2016 07:22:52 +0200

On 03/24/2016 07:47 AM, David Turner wrote:
> [...]
> I incorporated your changes into the lmdb backend.  To make merging
> later more convenient, I rebased on top of pu -- I think this mainly
> depends on jk/check-repository-format, but I also included some fixes
> for a couple of tests that had been changed by other patches.

I think rebasing changes on top of pu is counterproductive. I believe
that Junio had extra work rebasing your earlier series onto a merge of
the minimum number of topics that it really depended on. There is no way
that he could merge the branch in this form because it would imply
merging all of pu.

See the zeroth section of SubmittingPatches [1] for the guidelines.

> The current version can be found here:
> 
> https://github.com/dturner-tw/git/tree/dturner/pluggable-backends
> 
> I won't resend the full patchset to the list until I hear back on the
> rest of the review.
> 
> It seems like maybe we should now split this into two patchsets:
> everything up to and including "refs: move resolve_ref_unsafe into
> common code" does not depend on the backend structure and could go in
> earlier.  If you agree, we could send that first series and get it in,
> hopefully reducing later merge conflicts.  

That sounds like a good idea. It's always a relief to get work merged
and not have to keep porting it along.

There are three patches later in the series that (I think) also don't
have specifically to do with pluggable backends. These could potentially
also be considered for earlier merge to reduce the size of what remains:

* refs: don't dereference on rename
* refs: on symref reflog expire, lock symref not referrent
* refs: resolve symbolic refs first

But note that I haven't audited those patches yet, so I'm not saying
that they are necessarily ready to be merged.

Michael

[1] https://github.com/git/git/blob/master/Documentation/SubmittingPatches