Subject: [PATCH] doc: Clarify which objects notes can be attached to

From: Sebastian Schuberth <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2016 10:37:46 +0200

Explicitly name the supported object types, and ensure patches cannot be
misinterpreted as non-objects that can have notes attached.

Signed-off-by: Sebastian Schuberth <[email-masked]>
---
 Documentation/git-notes.txt | 9 +++++----
 1 file changed, 5 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/git-notes.txt b/Documentation/git-notes.txt
index 8de3499..101e6ba 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-notes.txt
+++ b/Documentation/git-notes.txt
@@ -25,7 +25,8 @@ SYNOPSIS
 DESCRIPTION
 -----------
 Adds, removes, or reads notes attached to objects, without touching
-the objects themselves.
+the objects themselves.  Supported objects are commits, blobs, trees
+and annotated tags.
 
 By default, notes are saved to and read from `refs/notes/commits`, but
 this default can be overridden.  See the OPTIONS, CONFIGURATION, and
@@ -39,9 +40,9 @@ message stored in the commit object, the notes are indented like the
 message, after an unindented line saying "Notes (<refname>):" (or
 "Notes:" for `refs/notes/commits`).
 
-Notes can also be added to patches prepared with `git format-patch` by
-using the `--notes` option. Such notes are added as a patch commentary
-after a three dash separator line.
+Notes contents can also be included in patches prepared with
+`git format-patch` by using the `--notes` option. Such notes are added
+as a patch commentary after a three dash separator line.
 
 To change which notes are shown by 'git log', see the
 "notes.displayRef" configuration in linkgit:git-log[1].
-- 
2.8.0.windows.1