Subject: [PATCH] log: document the --decorate=auto option

From: Ramsay Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 16:56:02 +0100

Signed-off-by: Ramsay Jones <[email-masked]>
---

Hi Junio,

While reading an email from Linus earlier (RFC: dynamic "auto" date formats),
I noticed that log.decorate was being set to 'auto'. Since I didn't recall
that setting (even if it's easy to guess), I went looking for the documentation ...

This should probably be marked RFC, since I haven't checked that the formatting
is OK (I don't have the documentation toolchain installed these days).

ATB,
Ramsay Jones

 Documentation/config.txt  | 5 ++++-
 Documentation/git-log.txt | 8 +++++---
 2 files changed, 9 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/config.txt b/Documentation/config.txt
index 53f00db..0707b3b 100644
--- a/Documentation/config.txt
+++ b/Documentation/config.txt
@@ -1956,7 +1956,10 @@ log.decorate::
 	command. If 'short' is specified, the ref name prefixes 'refs/heads/',
 	'refs/tags/' and 'refs/remotes/' will not be printed. If 'full' is
 	specified, the full ref name (including prefix) will be printed.
-	This is the same as the log commands '--decorate' option.
+	If 'auto' is specified, then if the output is going to a terminal,
+	the ref names are shown as if 'short' were given, otherwise no ref
+	names are shown. This is the same as the log commands '--decorate'
+	option.
 
 log.follow::
 	If `true`, `git log` will act as if the `--follow` option was used when
diff --git a/Documentation/git-log.txt b/Documentation/git-log.txt
index 03f9580..dec379b 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-log.txt
+++ b/Documentation/git-log.txt
@@ -29,12 +29,14 @@ OPTIONS
 	(works only for a single file).
 
 --no-decorate::
---decorate[=short|full|no]::
+--decorate[=short|full|auto|no]::
 	Print out the ref names of any commits that are shown. If 'short' is
 	specified, the ref name prefixes 'refs/heads/', 'refs/tags/' and
 	'refs/remotes/' will not be printed. If 'full' is specified, the
-	full ref name (including prefix) will be printed. The default option
-	is 'short'.
+	full ref name (including prefix) will be printed. If 'auto' is
+	specified, then if the output is going to a terminal, the ref names
+	are shown as if 'short' were given, otherwise no ref names are
+	shown. The default option is 'short'.
 
 --source::
 	Print out the ref name given on the command line by which each
-- 
2.8.0