Subject: Re: Small rerere in rebase regression

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 18:28:21 +0200

Am 25.05.2016 um 07:38 schrieb Johannes Schindelin:
> In short: yes, the explicit `git rerere` call can be dropped, that is
> essentially what I did in the rebase--helper branch.

Here's a patch to do that.

--- 8< ---
Subject: [PATCH] rebase -i: remove an unnecessary 'rerere' invocation

Interactive rebase uses 'git cherry-pick' and 'git merge' to replay
commits. Both invoke the 'rerere' machinery when they fail due to merge
conflicts. Note that all code paths with these two commands also invoke
the shell function die_with_patch when the commands fail.

Since commit 629716d2 ("rerere: do use multiple variants") the second
operation of the rerere machinery can be observed by a duplicated
message "Recorded preimage for 'file'". This second operation records
the same preimage as the first one and, hence, only wastes cycles.
Remove the 'git rerere' invocation from die_with_patch.

Shell function die_with_patch can be called after the failure of
"git commit", too, which also calls into the rerere machinery, but it
does so only after a successful commit to record the resolution.
Therefore, it is wrong to call 'git rerere' from die_with_patch after
"git commit" fails.

Signed-off-by: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
---
 git-rebase--interactive.sh | 1 -
 1 file changed, 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/git-rebase--interactive.sh b/git-rebase--interactive.sh
index 9d2bfb7..6e96abc 100644
--- a/git-rebase--interactive.sh
+++ b/git-rebase--interactive.sh
@@ -192,7 +192,6 @@ make_patch () {
 die_with_patch () {
 	echo "$1" > "$state_dir"/stopped-sha
 	make_patch "$1"
-	git rerere
 	die "$2"
 }
 
-- 
2.9.0.rc0.40.gb3c1388