Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 00/22] i18n and test updates

From: Vasco Almeida <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2016 08:18:59 +0000

Às 17:11 de 27-05-2016, Junio C Hamano escreveu:
> Vasco Almeida <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> Marks several messages for translation and updates tests to pass under
>> GETTEXT_POISON. Some tests were updated to fit previous i18n marks, others
>> were updated to fit marks made by these patches. Patches that only touch
>> test file refer to marks done in commits previous to these ones.
> 
> Whew, this series is quite a lot of work.
> 
Do you mean review work?
Submitting patches is still a new thing for me.
I don't know how to organize or split well the patch series, if they're
too long, in order to make other's work easier and the patches
themselves more appealing.

I have got other patches that I've made on top of these ones, but
don't know whether I should 1) rebase them on top of master, if they
apply cleanly, and send them in a new patch series, or just 2) send them
together in the next re-roll. New patches are also about i18n.

I've tried scavenging mailing list and documentation (not too hard, I
confess) for a explicit hint on this and eventually other best/desired
practices but found nothing so far, beside the content of
Documentation/SubmittingPatches of course.
If somebody could point me to something like that, that would be great.

I also naturally expect that, if I'm doing something wrong or lesser,
someone will bring it to my attention so I can correct.

(The first time I've sent patches here, I then sent 2 more patches alone
in their own series [1], but Junio Hamano put them together in one
va/i18n-misc-updates branch, reasonable decision since that and the
previous series were all i18n patches, hence all related. That made me
suspect that option 2) is better.
After that, I've sent a re-roll of first series, and Junio Hamano
thought for a moment that I had dropped the 2 patches from the second
one [2]. So it seems that, at least in this case, option 1) can
confuse people.)

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/291386
[2]
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/291860/focus=291914