Subject: Re: [PATCH] t1308: do not get fooled by symbolic links to the source tree

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2016 08:53:52 +0200

Am 03.06.2016 um 08:10 schrieb Jeff King:
> On Fri, Jun 03, 2016 at 08:05:56AM +0200, Johannes Sixt wrote:
>
>>> -	name=$(pwd)/.gitconfig
>>> +	name=$HOME/.gitconfig
>>
>> I haven't tested this, yet, but my guess is that this breaks on Windows:
>> test-config will produce C:/foo style path, but the updated test would
>> expect /c/foo style path. Dscho, do you have an idea how to fix this?
>
> Hmm. This should come directly from expand_user_path("~/.gitconfig")
> which prepends the literal contents of the $HOME variable. It does go
> through convert_slashes() afterwards, but I don't see any other
> massaging (but I won't be surprised when you tell me there is some that
> happens behind the scenes).

Yes, it happens behind the scenes: /c/foo absolute paths are a 
convention used by the POSIX emulation layer (MSYS). When bash (an MSYS 
program) runs a non-MSYS program such as git or test-config, it converts 
the /c/foo paths in the environment (and argument list) to c:/foo style 
because the non-MSYS programs do not understand the MSYS convention.

-- Hannes