Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] Support for $FILENAMES in tool definitions

From: Jakub Narębski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 19:28:07 +0200

On 2016-06-27, Alex Riesen wrote:

> This adds a FILENAMES environment variable, which contains the repository
> pathnames of all selected files the list.
> The variable contains the names separated by spaces.

Why not separate filenames with end-of-line character (LF)? It would still
be broken for some filenames, but only for unportable ones.  Filenames with
internal space (common on MS Windows) would work then.

  http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/filenames-in-shell.html
 
If Tcl allows it, you could separate filenames in FILENAMES environment
variable with NUL ("\0") character...

> Similar to the FILENAME it is broken yet, if the names contain spaces.

Could you clarify? Did you meant that FILENAMES environment variable is
similar to existing FILENAME variable, but broken for filenames which contain
spaces, or did you mean that both FILENAME (how?) and FILENAMES are broken
for filenames with spaces in them?

> 
> Note that the file marked and diffed immediately after starting the GUI up,
> is not actually selected. One must click on it once to really select it.

I'm not that familiar with git-gui / gitk; what do you mean by this sentence?
Could you summarize how FILENAME and FILENAMES work, please?

> 
> Signed-off-by: Alex Riesen <[email-masked]>
> ---