Subject: [RFC] Questions for "Git User's Survey 2016"

From: Jakub Narębski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2016 17:03:14 +0200

I am thinking about returning to doing the Git User's Survey, and
I'd like to ask for feedback.

Thanks to generocity of Survs.com, we have been gifted with premium
annual plan (previous surveys always generated quite a large number
of responses).  This plan will last (at least; it was usually
automatically renewed at no cost) till 26 October 2016, so I am
planning on having the survey for 1 month, in September:

  1 September -- 30 September 2016

For now I would like to ask what types of questions would you want
to see in the survey, and what you want to get from it (what would
be the survey purpose).

In my opinion, the survey has (at least) threefold purpose:

1. INFORMATIONAL.  We can find out how people use Git, if the range
of people answering the survey is wide enough and diverse enough.
We can find out what are their pain points.  It might be different
from what we here on this mailing list think it is.  Hopefully
this would help direct Git development to make Git better for all.

2. EDUCATIONAL.  For example a question about which features do
one uses, or how one gets help about Git, tends to be educational
for people taking the survey.

3. ADVERTISEMENT.  Announcing Git User's Survey might be considered
advertisement for git mailing list.  Questions about hosting site
or books can also be considered advertisement for the site in question
or the book / the author, respectively.

What I'd like to see is how people use Git, which features do they
use and which tools (maybe there is some great unknown tool there?),
where they go to find help about Git.

What types of questions should there be in this year survey?

-- 
Jakub Narębski