Subject: [PATCH v2 2/2] fix(gc): make --prune=now compatible with --expire-to

From: "ZheNing Hu via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2024 02:18:33 +0000

From: ZheNing Hu <[email-masked]>

The original `git gc --prune=now` attempted to delete all
unreachable objects. However, after the introduction of
`--cruft` and `--expire-to=<dir>` in git gc, `--prune=now`
can now compress unreachable objects into a cruft pack and
store them in the specified <dir> instead of deleting them
directly. This is beneficial for recovery in case of data
corruption during repository GC. Therefore, update the
handling logic of `--prune=now` in gc so that `-a` parameter
is only passed to the repack command when neither `--cruft`
nor `--expire-to` are used.

Signed-off-by: ZheNing Hu <[email-masked]>
---
 builtin/gc.c | 3 ++-
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/builtin/gc.c b/builtin/gc.c
index 77904694c9f..8656e1caff0 100644
--- a/builtin/gc.c
+++ b/builtin/gc.c
@@ -433,7 +433,8 @@ static int keep_one_pack(struct string_list_item *item, void *data UNUSED)
 static void add_repack_all_option(struct gc_config *cfg,
 				  struct string_list *keep_pack)
 {
-	if (cfg->prune_expire && !strcmp(cfg->prune_expire, "now"))
+	if (cfg->prune_expire && !strcmp(cfg->prune_expire, "now")
+		&& !(cfg->cruft_packs && cfg->repack_expire_to))
 		strvec_push(&repack, "-a");
 	else if (cfg->cruft_packs) {
 		strvec_push(&repack, "--cruft");
-- 
gitgitgadget