Subject: Re: [PATCH] ls-files: conditionally leave index sparse

From: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2025 15:36:18 -0400

On 8/26/2025 12:40 PM, Derrick Stolee wrote:
> On 8/15/2025 12:12 PM, Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget wrote:
>> From: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
> ...
>> Replace this global check to expand the index with a check inside the
>> loop for a matched sparse directory. If we see one, then expand the
>> index and continue from the current location. This is safe since the
>> previous entries in the index did not have any sparse directories and
>> thus would remain stable in this expansion.
> ...>     Here's a small sparse index performance update based on a user report.
> 
> I know this is small and somewhat niche, but it hasn't had any review
> or been picked up in What's Cooking. Could someone please take a look?

Thanks, Elijah and Junio for reviewing.

By coincidence, a user reported an issue where the sparse index was
expanded during "git mergetool" and it was due to a pathspec-focused
ls-files subcommand. So maybe it's less niche than I had thought.

Thanks,
-Stolee