Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 1/3] pull: refactor fast-forward check

From: Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2020 09:18:23 -0600

Hello,

Just to state that I'm not ignoring this feedback.

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > It's much cleaner this way.
> 
> It is obvious that a focused single purpose helper with less
> indentation is easier to follow both at the calling site and the
> implementation itself.

Yes, but the reader hasn't reached that point of the story yet.

> "It's much cleaner" is not something you need to say.

>From the top of my head I can think of a few other reasons to refactor
code: a) it's more logical, b) it's less code, c) it's helps further
changes.

It's not necessary to say, but that's what I want to say; this reason,
and no other reason, is the main reason for this patch's existence.

> > Also, we would like to be able to make this check before the decision to
> > rebase is made.
> 
> ... in a future step.

Right.

It's not necessarily the case (could be an indeterminate future), but it
is the case in this patch series.

> That is something we want to say upfront, not "Also".

Not from my point of view. Even if it didn't help in future steps,
cleaning up code is generally desirable.

Cheers.

-- 
Felipe Contreras