Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 1/2] Add project-wide .vimrc configuration

From: Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 21:03:56 -0600

Jeff King wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 02:56:22AM +0000, brian m. carlson wrote:

>   - it doesn't suggest any actions that might be bad practices. I agree
>     that the instructions for auto-loading this .vimrc are more
>     complicated than necessary and might have security implications.
>     Carrying a file in contrib/vim that says "copy this to ~/.vim/foo"
>     or even "copy these lines to your ~/.vimrc" seems a lot safer. And
>     it makes it easier for people who prefer to adapt the config to
>     their own setup.
> 
> So I'm not opposed to carrying some vim config, but I think it's best to
> focus on simplicity and providing human-readable instructions, rather
> than ad-hoc plugin infrastructure.

Generally I would agree, but do you know what such instructions would look like?

In particular what instructions would look like for a person that
contributes to more than 3 projects with different C code-style.

I can assure they are anything but human-readable.

Cheers.

-- 
Felipe Contreras