Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 1/1] mergetool: add automerge configuration

From: Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2020 09:59:41 -0600

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >> Yup, I already mentioned UI mistake so you do not have to repeat
> >
> > You said it was a UI mistake, not me. I am a different mind than yours.
> 
> Yes, but the point is that I do not need to nor particularly want to
> hear your opinion on the behaviour of "git merge-file".

Then disregard the comment.

> I know (and others reading the thread on the list also know) that the
> exit code of the command is misdesigned already.

Unless you can read minds, you don't know that.

And even if you do, I don't know what you know. I can't read your mind.

Plus, they can disregard the comment as well.

> > I communicated that fact after you, so I did not repeat anything,
> > because I hadn't said that before. *You* did, not *me*.
> 
> Again, please realize that on list discussion is a team effort to
> come up together a better design of a shared solution.

Which is why agreement in a team with different minds and different
viewpoints is important.

Just to show a few instances of Jeff King telling you he agrees with
you:

 1. "I agree it's not all that useful in that example" [1]. 16 Dec 2020
 2. "I agree with the current definition" [2]. 18 Dec 2020 (same thread)
 3. "I agree the two should behave the same" [3]. 18 Dec 2020 (same
    mail)

The fact that you value Jeff King's agreement and don't care what some
other members in the community think, is a personal vale judgement, and
doesn't necessarily mean the viewpoints of such community members are
objectively worthless.

Cheers.

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
[2] https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
[3] https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

-- 
Felipe Contreras