Subject: Re: [PATCH 4/7] completion: teach ls-remote to complete options

From: Cornelius Weig <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2017 10:40:53 +0100

On 02/02/2017 02:40 AM, SZEDER Gábor wrote:
> 
>> ls-remote needs to complete remote names and its own options.
> 
> And refnames, too.

Yes, right. However, do you think it is reasonable to complete remote
refnames? I don't think so, because it would mean we would have to run
ls-remote during completion -- and waiting for ls-remote could be quite
lengthy.

>> In
>> addition to the existing remote name completions, do also complete
>> the options --heads, --tags, --refs, and --get-url.
> 
> Why only these four options and not the other four?
> 
> There are eight options in total here, so there is really no chance
> for cluttered terminals, and all eight are mentioned in the synopsis.

My line of thought is the following:

--quiet: does not print anything and is therefore only useful for
scripting. Thus, there is no need to have it on the command line completion.

--exit-code: has no visible effect and is only useful for scripting.

--upload-pack: is really exotic. Nobody will ever use it without digging
deep in the manuals. Therefore, I think it's unnecessary to have the
option completable.

--symref: Should probably be added, thanks.

However, if you don't find my reasoning for omitting the three options
above conclusive, I have no problem including them.