Subject: RE: how to rename remote branches, the long way

From: Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2021 20:08:49 -0500

Antoine Beaupré wrote:
> Before people start throwing things (like `git push origin oldref:newref
> :oldref`) at me, consider that I've been beating my head against this
> for a while, and everywhere I look basically suggests this:
> 
>     git branch -m to_branch
>     git push origin from_branch:to_branch :from_branch

Better:

  git push origin from_branch:to_branch :from_branch &&
  git branch -m from_branch to_branch

> I wrote this primarily with the "master to main" migration, because a
> bunch of projects (including mine) are suddenly, actually migrating
> their main branch from master to main. Personnally, it's because I'm
> tired of being yelled "master" from my shell prompt all the time, but
> naturally, I guess opinions on the matter vary.

Just tell git to stop bothering you:

  git config --global init.defaultbranch master

-- 
Felipe Contreras