Subject: Re: Pain points in Git's patch flow

From: Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 15:45:24 -0500

Sebastian Schuberth wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 12:34 AM Theodore Ts'o <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > The primary reason why the kernel uses mailing lists is because code
> > reviews are fundamentally *discussions*, and people are used to using
> > inboxes.  Sure, you can have a gerrit server send e-mail notifications
> 
> [...]
> 
> > maintainers simply find e-mail reviews to simply be more *convenient*
> > than using gerrit.  And over time, we've used other tools to track
> 
> That still sounds to me as if people are stuck to what they know.
> Maintainers are "used to using inboxes'', and that's *why* they find
> e-mail reviews to be convenient.

I'm not stuck with what I know.

The reason why I use the email workflow is not because "I'm stuck" with
it, it's because I've tried every approach out there, and they are *all*
inferior.

You tell me of an approach and I will tell you all the ways in which
it's inferior to email.

If some people want to use Gerrit, and/or Patchwork on top of email,
that's fine. You can use inferior approaches if you want, just don't
force the rest of us to stop using the superior approach.

Cheers.

-- 
Felipe Contreras