Subject: Re: Pain points in Git's patch flow

From: Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 15:58:14 -0500

Sebastian Schuberth wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 18, 2021 at 10:54 PM Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > And thank you for participating in the discussion. I think it's
> > especially valuable to get a viewpoint like yours, i.e. someone who (per
> > this E-Mail below) gave up in frustration with the current development
> > flow.
> 
> To be fair, Git's contribution flow isn't the only reason why I chose
> to stop contributing. Another reason is the very lengthy and tedious
> discussions that too often spark from rather small changes.

I completely agree with this assessment.

In the spectrum from all code is allowed (0) to only perfect code is allowed
(100) I'd say the git project is around 95. It's good in the sense that
user expectation rarely breaks, but on the other hand not much progress
happens.

Personally I would turn the dial of perfectedness down to 90, or even
80.

It's because of this focus on perfection that discussions get tedious,
and thus perfect becomes the enemy of good.

But since the current maintership is never going to change that focus, I
think a fork of git is necessary.

Cheers.

-- 
Felipe Contreras