Subject: Re: git switch/restore, still experimental?

From: Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2021 12:46:52 -0500

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> In summary, I think it should be changed to act like this:
>     
>     |---------------------------+------------------------+---------------------------|
>     | What                      | Now                    | New                       |
>     |---------------------------+------------------------+---------------------------|
>     | Switch                    | git switch existing    | git switch existing       |
>     | Error                     | git switch nonexisting | <no change (errors)>      |
>     | Switch with --merge       | git switch -m branch   | git switch --merge branch |
>     | Create                    | git switch -c new      | git switch -n new         |
>     | Create from existing      | N/A                    | git switch -c new [<old>] |
>     | Move & switch to existing | N/A                    | git switch -m new [<old>] |
>     |---------------------------+------------------------+---------------------------|

I'm in favor of this too.

> In its current state I find "git switch" to be unusable. That sounds
> like dramatic hyperbole, but I'm serious.

I concur.

I've tried to use it multiple times, and I always come back to using git
branch / git checkout.

-- 
Felipe Contreras