Subject: Re: [RFC suggestion] Generate manpage directly with Asciidoctor

From: Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 15:22:23 -0500

Jeff King wrote:
> On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 02:00:55PM -0500, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> 
> > > > > It's not too hard to install an updated gem, but not quite as nice
> > > > > as using the system package (it also makes things weird for
> > > > > building the stable Debian package itself, which would want to
> > > > > rely only on other packages; but of course any proposed change to
> > > > > the doc toolchain would be for new versions, and would not get
> > > > > backported there anyway).
> > 
> > Doing `gem install` solves the problem for whomever wants to build the
> > latest git in Debian stable.
> > 
> > Building Debian stable packages is something else.
> 
> Perhaps I wasn't clear with the "but of course" part of my statement. It
> was meant to rebut the earlier half of the parenthetical. I.e., drawing
> that same distinction as "we don't have to worry about packaging Debian
> stable here".

Ah, I undesrstood wrong there, it seems we are in agreement.

Semicolons in English are similar to semicolons in computer languages:
when I read ($a; $b), $a needs to stand on its own. If $b is really
important I would do ($a, but $b). But this is like splitting hairs of
splitted hairs.

I've seen too much discussion and too few patches, I'll send the mockup
I did a few days ago to see if it sticks.

Cheers.

-- 
Felipe Contreras