Subject: Re: [PATCH 6/6] diff-merges: let -m imply -p

From: Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 20:16:33 -0500

Sergey Organov wrote:
> Alex Henrie <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > I didn't know which branch the change came from. If the change came
> > from the first branch, it would not have appeared under the merge
> > commit with --diff-merges=first-parent.
> 
> The change in question either came from this merge, or it didn't. If it
> came from this merge, it will be there in --diff-merges=first-parent
> even if you have octopus merge and multiple parents, in which case it
> will be cumulative change from all the side parents.

Precisely.

The primary thing I care about is what is the status of the branch
*after* the merge. In other words; if I rewind history and I hadn't done
the merge, what would be diffent?

That in my mind is the actual content of the merge.

-- 
Felipe Contreras