Subject: Re: [PATCH] doc: replace jargon word "impact" with "effect"/"affect"

From: Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 21:48:10 -0500

Michal Suchánek wrote:
> On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 12:19:05PM -0500, Varun Varada wrote:

> It refers to redundant changes to the codebase which do not improve it in
> any way.

This is not the codebase, and what does or not "improve in any way"
the status quo is relative to who you ask.

> > As for there being no distinction, there's no gradation within the
> > semantics of this context; this doesn't change the semantics of the
> > words themselves. Using "impact" when what is meant is just "effect"
> > or "affect" is incorrect in all such instances.
> 
> That's your opinion not shared by the authors of the text.

How do you know? Have you asked them?

Just because person A wrote text X doesn't necessarily mean they think
their version is superior to any and all future suggestions of
improvment.

> The authority you refer to is MIT which is known for technical
> brilliance but not as authority on linguistics.

The MIT hosted Noam Chomsky for many decadates. Are you really arguing
Noam Chomsky is not an authority in linguistics?

-- 
Felipe Contreras