Subject: Re: [PATCH] doc: replace jargon word "impact" with "effect"/"affect"

From: Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 00:13:08 -0500

Michal Suchánek wrote:
> On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 10:43:38PM -0500, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> > It is a paradox called "the bikeshedding effect". When you contribute a
> > complex and convoluted change it's easier to get it in because few people
> > can object (as few people can understand it). But when you contribute a
> > change as simple as changing the color of something, then *everyone* can
> > opine (literally).
> 
> You forget that what you are doing right now is bikeshedding after the
> fact.

Except that's not what I'm doing.

> You can use 'affect' or 'impact' and it generally conveys the same
> meaning.

That's clearly *your* opinion, but that's not my opinon.

I'm not arguing between blue and red; I'm arguing between water-based and
lead-based paint.

The difference may not matter to you, but it matters to me.

If it's bikeshedding to you, and it "gnerally conveys the same meaning",
why are you arguing against?

-- 
Felipe Contreras