Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] Writing down mail list etiquette.

From: Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 01:45:14 -0500

Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
> Let's say that we had consented that my patch series was deemed ready at
> v5 version. From the paragraph above, I interpreted it as "now my series
> was consented ready, I need to send v6 to Junio (current Git maintainer)".
> In practice, the maintainer could instead merged v5 (without having me to
> send v6 [final]), because v5 is merge-ready in absence of maintainer's
> email address in either To: or Cc:.

Yes and no.

Consensus, mearge-ready status, and merged, are three very diffent
concepts. Generally they are one-and-the-same, but not always.

 1. A patch can have consensus, and yet Junio doesn't merge it
 2. A patch may not have consensus, and yet Junio merges it
 3. A patch may be merge-ready, no consensus, and yet merged
 4. A patch may be merge-ready, no consensus, and unmerged
 ...

I'm not going through every combination... You get the point.

Generally you don't need to worry about this, that's Junio's job. If
your patch is ready, Junio will merge it... But not always.

So no, you don't need to send v6, Junio will pick v5. If he doesn't,
it's most likely because it slipped through the cracks, and you can see
that in the next "What's cooking in git.git".

If you don't see your merge-ready patch series in "what's cooking", then
by all means send it again as v6, or reply to the "what's cooking" or
something. But generally there's no point in sending a v6 identical to a
v5.

Just poke Junio.

> Oh yeah, should mailing list's address be also in To:/Cc: when sending
> merge-ready patch series?

IMO the maxim should be: if it's relevant to git, send it to to the git
mailing list... *Always*... Don't ever hesitate.

But if you already sent a v5 that is is merge-ready, there's no need
to send an identical v6.

All these suggestions are of course based on my own experience. Others
might have different experiences.

Cheers.

-- 
Felipe Contreras