Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] doc: add an option to have Asciidoctor build man pages directly

From: Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 08:25:56 -0500

brian m. carlson wrote:
> On 2021-05-12 at 02:48:59, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
> > On 12/05/21 09.11, brian m. carlson wrote:
> > > We generally require Asciidoctor 1.5, but versions before 1.5.3 didn't
> > > contain proper handling of the apostrophe, which is controlled normally
> > > by the GNU_ROFF option.  This option for the DocBook toolchain, as well
> > > as newer versions of Asciidoctor, makes groff output an ASCII apostrophe
> > > instead of a Unicode apostrophe in text, so as to make copy and pasting
> > > commands easier.  These newer versions of Asciidoctor detect groff and
> > > do the right thing in all cases, so the GNU_ROFF option is obsolete in
> > > this case.
> > 
> > At what version of Asciidoctor the apostrophe handling is corrected?
> 
> The first released version is 1.5.3.

I just went ahead to check that, and from the very first commit [1]
asciidoctor generated quotes compatible with groff:

  git filter\-branch \-\-tree\-filter \(aqrm filename\(aq HEAD

So it has *always* worked.

You can see it from the code:

  gsub('\'', '\\(aq').      # apostrophe-quote

In fact, they never changed that, so it should fail in Solaris, or
anything that doesn't use groff.

I've sent them a fix [2].

What are these "newever versions" that do the right thing in all cases?

[1] https://github.com/asciidoctor/asciidoctor/commit/7bddc416c92ff9d16c721b03bda7ed80c1e4c45f
[2] https://github.com/asciidoctor/asciidoctor/pull/4060

-- 
Felipe Contreras