Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] doc: remove GNU_ROFF option

From: Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 08:30:21 -0500

brian m. carlson wrote:
> On 2021-05-12 at 04:45:53, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> > I'm not sure of all that, but my machine uses Arch Linux, it ships with
> > groff, I've never used GNU_ROFF=1, and I can copy text with apostrophes
> > from the genrated man pages just fine.
> 
> I'll rephrase to be clearer.  Solaris 10 is still security supported,
> but no major Linux distro is, and I think we'll be both be fine dropping
> support for OSes shipped in 2005.
> 
> I'm glad to hear confirmation that things work for you, though.

I took at deep-dive and it turns Arch Linux configures groff to convert
\' to ', so even if git was doing something wrong, I wouldn't have
noticed.

Docbook fixed their problem in 2010, and I just sent a patch for
asciidoctor to properly fix their code as well. It should work on groff
though.

The configuration is in: `/usr/share/groff/site-tmac/man.local`, if you
want to check what your system is doing.

Cheers.

-- 
Felipe Contreras