Subject: Re: [Bug] git-credential-netrc.perl is not built and is not available in `exec-path`

From: Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 22:01:21 -0500

Jeff King wrote:

> I suspect that just opening a bug report against distro packages might
> get some traction (especially if it comes with a patch to create the
> extra package).

I have tried that; do doesn't work. If git developers have $x in
"contrib" it's for a reason.

> I do wonder if packagers are hesitant to reach into
> contrib/,

Of course they are! The word "contrib" has an obvious meaning.

This is precisely the reason why I tried to graduate "contrib/completion"
out of "contrib" to no avail [1].

If you want to install anything from "contrib" by default, it should be
"contrib/completion" first, which is already very well tested, and
shipped by many distributions. I would move it outside "contrib", to be
semantically consistent.

Then maybe "contrib/credential", sure, following "contrib/completion".

But to do a mish-mash between "/" and "/contrib". Does not make sense.

You can't eat your cake and have it too.

Either they are contributed, or they aren't.

Cheers.

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

> [1] I was actually surprised I had libsecret installed at all.
>     Apparently pinentry-gtk2 links against it, which I have for use with
>     gpg. But my system might not be considered typical anyway, as I
>     don't use any kind of "desktop environment".

Unless you have a backend (like gnome-keyring) libsecret is useless.

Can you do "secret-tool lookup *" and fetch any of your passwords?

Cheers.

-- 
Felipe Contreras