Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 4/4] maintenance: optionally use systemd timers on Linux

From: Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 12:52:59 -0500

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> I would like to encourage people in this thread who are calling for a
> change in wording here to consider whether this sort of discussion is a
> good use of the ML's time, and the chilling effect of being overly picky
> when many contributors are working in their second, third etc. language.

I completely agree. However, there's a difference between calling for a
change, and expressing one's personal taste. The later can be useful
feedback, the former tramples the progress of a patch series.

> Personally I don't care whether someone submits a patch where their
> commit message discusses an example of "he", "she", "they", "it" or
> whatever. It's just meant as an example, and not some statement about
> what the gender (or lack thereof) of such a user *should* be.

Agreed. My only concern is readability, nonetheless a poorly readable
commit message is not a road-blocker.

What should not be debatable is that this is a software project, it
should not concern itself with linguistic debates. The proper use of
language is a matter for others to decide.

If a member of the community expresses her/his personal taste that Y is a
better word than X, that's fine. But to *demand* a word change is
something else.

Cheers.

-- 
Felipe Contreras