Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 2/6] push: move code to setup_push_simple()

From: Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 03:03:37 -0500

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > In order to avoid doing unnecessary things and simplify it in further
> > patches.
> >
> > The code is copied exactly as-is; no functional changes.
> 
> The title says "move" and I expected to see corresponding deletions,
> but it seems that this (possibly temporarily) duplicates what these
> two functions do, without removing them, which (possibly
> temporarily) risks the two to drift apart.

OK. Copy then.

> From a quick scanning of the remainder of the series, it seems that
> 3/6 and 4/6 improve the copied code without changing the behaviour,
> and at the end these two functions remain, so we have duplicated
> logic for these two functions and improvements only live in one of
> the copies (namely, in the setup_push_simple())?

Not quite: setup_push_upstream() was simplified too, in 5/6.

Maybe I can mention that part of the code of the `simple` mode lives in
setup_push_upstream() and by copying the code to the right function both
can be simplified.

-- 
Felipe Contreras