Subject: Re: [PATCH] packed_ref_store: handle a packed-refs file that is a symlink

From: Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2021 15:23:02 -0500

Jeff King wrote:
> Preemptively finding portability problems may save work in the long
> term. And people may even be using Git on AIX and just ignoring test
> failures, or they have GNU coreutils installed anyway, etc. But it would
> also save work if we can ignore platforms that nobody uses.

I agree, but the Git project is overly preoccupied (IMO) with
hypothetical issues some hypothetical users might have in some
hypothetical situations, and that is used as a rationale to block changes
that would improve the experience of the vast majority of users.

This is not a hypothetical issue, and yet you are suggesting to
discount it?

I don't disagree, but this is not consistent.

Either we preoccupy ourselves with obscure issues that will probably not
affect anyone in the real world, or we don't.

In my opinion it's perfectly sensible to let a few potential issues
slide by, and only worry seriously about them when a real user reports a
real problem.

Cheers.

-- 
Felipe Contreras