Subject: RE: [PATCH 0/4] Use singular "they" when appropriate

From: Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2021 15:10:31 -0500

Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget wrote:
> In another topic, I claimed [1] that singular "they" was better than
> "he/she" for gender neutrality.
> 
> [1]
> https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

And in that same thread I argued otherwise:

https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

> The fact that singular "they" is less awkward to write and read seemed
> obvious to me, so I did not back up my statement with any references or
> reasons. The ensuing discussion did include reasons, especially brian m.
> carlson's thoughtful message [2].
> 
> [2] https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

To which I also argued against:

https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

> This patch series officially adopts singular "they" as a contributor
> guideline; see Patch 4 for the change to the guidelines and the reasoning
> for the change. Before modifying the guidelines, documentation and comments
> are updated to not use gendered pronouns, which provides examples of how to
> use it.

You use a descriptivist argument (language evolves naturally), to claim
that singular "they" is already used, but then use that to *prescriptive*
rules, which is the opposite. You are contradicting yourself.

Either we follow descriptivists and let the writers decide what's
appropriate, or we follow prescriptivists and establish rules
prescriptivist linguists agree on. Prescriptivists are on the side that
singular "they" should not be used (because of Latin adherence).

You can't have both.

> I would appreciate ACKs in support on patch 4.

A firm NAK from me.

-- 
Felipe Contreras