Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 4/4] CodingGuidelines: recommend singular they

From: Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 10:23:10 -0500

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]> writes:

> > The references to "gendered prounouns" etc. are gone, perhaps there's a
> > good reason to re-include them, but the point of "isn't that issue
> > solved by recommending an orthagonal approach?" is one of the many
> > things Stolee hasn't been addressing in the threads related to this
> > series.
> >
> > To me that whole approach is somewhere between a solution in search of a
> > problem and a "let's fix it and move on". Not something we need
> > explicitly carry in our CodingGuidelines forever.
> 
> This I think is the crux of the differences between you two.  I'd
> love to hear Derrick's response and eventually see a middle ground
> reached.

A middle ground is not always the best solution. The solution between
punching people you disagree with and tolerance is not punching them a
little bit.

Sometimes one side is just incorrect.

Also, a principle of logic is the burden of proof. Ævar doesn't have to
prove that there's something wrong with Derek's proposal, Derek has the
burden of proof.

Why do we need a writing style lesson for one particular issue (that has
never really been an issue) in CodingGuidelines?

I have not seen an answer to that question--let alone a satisfactory
one.

-- 
Felipe Contreras