Subject: Re: [PATCH] Makefile: add and use the ".DELETE_ON_ERROR" flag

From: Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2021 19:41:36 -0500

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 30 2021, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> > Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> 
> >> Even if you don't care about the end result or making git easier to hack
> >> on for people who don't share your setup,
> >
> > I don't know about Junio, I do want to make git easier to hack for
> > people that don't share my setup, but I would like to know what that
> > setup is.
> 
> I think all of this is covered in detail upthread.

>From [1] I understand some systems have a problem clobbering a binary
that is being run. So if you are running a test that is using a binary
that you are rebuilding at the same time, you get an error.

OK.

I still don't see why anyone would want to rebuild the binary in the
middle of running tests. The result of the tests is only meaningful for
a particular build. This is what I don't get. I get that you want to do
this, what I don't get is *why*.

In order to be able to rebuild _and_ keep running the tests for a
certain build an out-of-source build is needed. Modern build systems
like CMake and Meson do these kinds of builds by default. In fact, Meson
doesn't support anything else.

With an in-source build such as in git, I first stop the tests, and
then rebuild, and that's what I would expect everyone else to do. I
don't think it has been explained why anybody wouldn't.

Cheers.

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

-- 
Felipe Contreras