Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 00/34] Builtin FSMonitor Feature

From: Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2021 20:53:57 -0500

Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> In Git, it is our tradition to develop incrementally, for better or
> worse.

We develop incrementally, but the first version of a big feature has to
have as many eyes on it as possible in order to track potential issues
in the future.

It is very common to look back at an API and say "oh, if only wad
thought of that back then". Therefore we should do our best to think
about it now.

We want to avoid future aw-shucks.

> Jeff's effort
> brought us to a point where we already have Windows and macOS support,
> i.e. support for the most prevalent development platforms (see e.g.
> https://insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2020#technology-developers-primary-operating-systems).
> We already established multiple obstacles for Linux support, therefore
> demanding Linux support to be included Right Now would increase the patch
> series even further, making it even less reviewable, being even less
> incremental, hold up the current known-to-work-well state, force Jeff to
> work on something he probably cannot work on right now, and therefore
> delaying the entire effort even further.

This is a red herring.

You don't need to send the Linux support as part of the patch series,
you can simply provide a branch for the people that want to give it a
try.

Even if it's not ready for wide use, even if it needs a specific version
of Linux, even if it's a proof of concept, you can provide it.

The real reason it's not provided is laziness (this is not an attack,
laziness is good trait in a programmer, although not always).

Cheers.

-- 
Felipe Contreras