Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] Add commit, tag & push signing/verification via SSH keys using ssh-keygen

From: Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 16:16:52 -0500

Fabian Stelzer wrote:
> On 12.07.21 18:55, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:

> > I think this patch is *way* past the point of benefitting from being
> > split into a patch series. It grew from ~200 lines added to ~1k.
> Sure, I can easily split the patch into seperate commits. But do i 
> create a v3 patch from this or issue a new pull request?
> The diff between v2 & v3 would be quite useless otherwise wouldn't it?

The interdiff might be quite useless, but not the rangediff. Either way
both of those are merely tools to visualize changes between versions,
ultimately what really matters is the final commits themselves.

Moreover, not all reviewers have seen every version, so for example if
you properly split this patch, I might join the review process at v3,
and I don't really care what was in v2, therefore I wouldn't look at the
rangediff.

> And maybe another beginner contribution question:
> 
> When i make changes to a patchset do i put new changes from the review 
> on top as new commits or do i edit the existing commits?

Edit existing commits.

> If so what is the workflow you normally use for this? fixup commits? I 
> know about those but haven't worked with them before.

`git rebase --interactive` is what I use, and I think that's what most
people use.

This allows you to easily edit commits and add specific changes to
specific commits.

Once you are familiar with this process it's easier to understand fixup
commits, but I'd say rebasing comes first.

Cheers.

-- 
Felipe Contreras