Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 19/34] fsmonitor-fs-listen-win32: implement FSMonitor backend on Windows

From: Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 11:55:55 -0500

Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2021, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 13 2021, Jeff Hostetler wrote:

> > > I prefer self-documenting code.
> >
> > Sure, I'm not saying daemonize() is an ideal name, just suggesting that
> > you can both get uniqueness & self-documentation and not need to split
> > to multiple lines in some common cases to stay within the "We try to
> > keep to at most 80 characters per line" in CodingGuidelines in this
> > series.
> 
> While you are entitled to have your taste, I have to point out that Jeff
> is just as entitled to their taste, and I don't think that you can claim
> that yours is better.
> 
> So I wonder what the intended outcome of this review is? To make the patch
> better? Or to pit taste against taste?

Unless you read minds you can't possibly know what the taste of other
people will be.

So you put forward what *you* think is better, and then find out if
others agree with your taste or not. If it turns out you are the only
one that thinks it's better, so be it.

For what it's worth, I agree with Ævar that daemonize() is better and I
find your statement "I prefer self-documenting code" a) not an argument,
b) not a valid argument if we fill in the dots, and c) passively
aggressive.

Each one of us can only do one thing: express our opinion. What else can
we do?

Reviewers should not be chastised for expressing their opinion.

-- 
Felipe Contreras