Subject: Re: [PATCH 00/15] name-rev: eliminate recursion

From: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 11:37:12 -0400

On 9/19/2019 5:46 PM, SZEDER Gábor wrote:
> 'git name-rev' is implemented using a recursive algorithm, and,
> consequently, it can segfault in deep histories (e.g. WebKit), and
> thanks to a test case demonstrating this limitation every test run
> results in a dmesg entry logging the segfaulting git process.
> 
> This patch series eliminates the recursion.

A noble goal! Recursion into commit history is much easier to get
stack overflows than when we recurse into the directory hierarchy.

> Patches 1-5 and 14-15 are while-at-it cleanups I noticed on the way,
> and patch 6 improves test coverage.

These cleanups are nice, and I think I followed them pretty closely.
 
> Patches 7-11 are preparatory refactorings that are supposed to make
> this series easier to follow, and make patch 12, the one finally
> eliminating the recursion, somewhat shorter, and even much shorter
> when viewed with '--ignore-all-space'.  Patch 13 cleans up after those
> preparatory steps.

I responded to several of these, mostly with questions and not actual
recommendations. I do want to apply your patches locally so I can try
this --ignore-all-space trick to really be sure patch 12 is doing the
right thing.

Great organization of patches!

-Stolee