Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/7] strbuf cleanups

From: Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 May 2023 15:47:41 -0600

Elijah Newren wrote:
> On Wed, May 3, 2023 at 11:48 AM Calvin Wan <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > Strbuf is a widely used basic structure that should only interact with
> > other primitives in strbuf.[ch].
> 
> "should"?  I agree with moving things in this direction, but the
> wording here suggests there's a pre-existing directive or guideline;

No, it doesn't.

"You should see a doctor about that cough" is not a directive, it's merely an
advice.

> Maybe this should be reworded to "This series modifies strbuf to focus on
> string manipulation with minimal other dependencies"?

And ironoically you use the word "should" to provide your own advice on how to
avoid using "should" as an advice.

I agree it would be ideal if strbuf interacted only with other primitives in
strbuf.[ch], so I agree "should" is a perfectly fine word to describe such a
normative statement.

-- 
Felipe Contreras