Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/2] advice: add "all" option to disable all hints

From: Dragan Simic <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 09:37:36 +0200

On 2024-04-24 08:28, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> James Liu <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> This patch series adds an "all" advice hint type that can be used as a
>> convenience option for disabling all advice hints.
> 
> Hmph.  I thought this was rejected already and not in so distant
> past, but I am not finding a discussion thread in the archive.
> 
> The design to support the advice.* variables to let individual ones
> to be squelched, without allowing "all", is very much deliberate.
> 
> A user may think they are familiar with all the advices already, but
> with "all", they'll never get a chance to learn new ones added after
> they set the configuration.  Looking from the other direction, a new
> advice message is a way for us to tell our users something important
> for them to know.  For example, we may plan to improve a high-level
> Porcelain command so that it will eventually error out when given an
> input that used to be accepted but behaved in a way that newbies
> felt confusing.  In the first step of such a transition, we will
> introduce a new (and hopefully better) way to achieve what the user
> wants to do, and add an advice message to tell the user, when they
> trigger the codepath whose behaviour will change in the future, in
> the old way that will eventually go away.

I'd agree with Junio.  Having "advice.all" is like a chainsaw, very
useful, but also quite dangerous if not used properly.