Subject: Re: [PATCH] fast-import: fix over-allocation of marks storage

From: "Dipl. Ing. Sergey Brester" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2020 21:17:58 +0200

Well, a bug-tracker had some clear benefits:

1. it has controlling and statistic mechanisms like a road-map, 
milestones etc;

2. the issues get a priority (so one is able to select bugs with high 
precedence);

3. they can be labeled or even characterized with other metrics to 
signal seriousness of the issue or
to emphasize them in order to be flashy in the road-map.

4. the issues are bound to the participating contributors (reporter, 
devs, tester, etc), so for example there are reports like "open issues
belonging to me", which could also help to organize work a bit 
("remember" them).

5. Transparency of the representation of issue or some lists is not to 
compare with a thread in a mailing list at all.

I could continue yet, but unsure the arguments will be heard or welcome 
(I know it is your work, and everyone
organizes his/her workplace how one need or want). I was just wondering 
how it could work, even for years.
In my opinion all pros of a bug-tracker are obvious for everyone once 
using them.

And an automatic export/import from/to tracker into mailing lists (to 
retain it for conservative part of
old school participants) is mostly trivial.

Thanks,
Serg.

15.10.2020 20:35, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> "Dipl. Ing. Sergey Brester" <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> May be this is a sign to introduce real issue tracker finally? :) No 
>> offence, but I was always wondering how a team is able to hold all the 
>> issue related stuff in form of a mailing list, without to experience 
>> such an "embarrassments". Especially on such large projects and 
>> communities.
> 
> I do not know if an issue-tracker would have helped, though.