Subject: [PATCH v5 21/21] p2000: add sparse-index repos

From: "Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 13:11:04 +0000

From: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>

p2000-sparse-operations.sh compares different Git commands in
repositories with many files at HEAD but using sparse-checkout to focus
on a small portion of those files.

Add extra copies of the repository that use the sparse-index format so
we can track how that affects the performance of different commands.

At this point in time, the sparse-index is 100% overhead from the CPU
front, and this is measurable in these tests:

Test
---------------------------------------------------------------
2000.2: git status (full-index-v3)              0.59(0.51+0.12)
2000.3: git status (full-index-v4)              0.59(0.52+0.11)
2000.4: git status (sparse-index-v3)            1.40(1.32+0.12)
2000.5: git status (sparse-index-v4)            1.41(1.36+0.08)
2000.6: git add -A (full-index-v3)              2.32(1.97+0.19)
2000.7: git add -A (full-index-v4)              2.17(1.92+0.14)
2000.8: git add -A (sparse-index-v3)            2.31(2.21+0.15)
2000.9: git add -A (sparse-index-v4)            2.30(2.20+0.13)
2000.10: git add . (full-index-v3)              2.39(2.02+0.20)
2000.11: git add . (full-index-v4)              2.20(1.94+0.16)
2000.12: git add . (sparse-index-v3)            2.36(2.27+0.12)
2000.13: git add . (sparse-index-v4)            2.33(2.21+0.16)
2000.14: git commit -a -m A (full-index-v3)     2.47(2.12+0.20)
2000.15: git commit -a -m A (full-index-v4)     2.26(2.00+0.17)
2000.16: git commit -a -m A (sparse-index-v3)   3.01(2.92+0.16)
2000.17: git commit -a -m A (sparse-index-v4)   3.01(2.94+0.15)

Note that there is very little difference between the v3 and v4 index
formats when the sparse-index is enabled. This is primarily due to the
fact that the relative file sizes are the same, and the command time is
mostly taken up by parsing tree objects to expand the sparse index into
a full one.

With the current file layout, the index file sizes are given by this
table:

       |  full index | sparse index |
       +-------------+--------------+
    v3 |     108 MiB |      1.6 MiB |
    v4 |      80 MiB |      1.2 MiB |

Future updates will improve the performance of Git commands when the
index is sparse.

Signed-off-by: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
---
 t/perf/p2000-sparse-operations.sh | 19 ++++++++++++++++++-
 1 file changed, 18 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/t/perf/p2000-sparse-operations.sh b/t/perf/p2000-sparse-operations.sh
index dddd527b6330..94513c977489 100755
--- a/t/perf/p2000-sparse-operations.sh
+++ b/t/perf/p2000-sparse-operations.sh
@@ -59,12 +59,29 @@ test_expect_success 'setup repo and indexes' '
 		git sparse-checkout set $SPARSE_CONE &&
 		git config index.version 4 &&
 		git update-index --index-version=4
+	) &&
+	git -c core.sparseCheckoutCone=true clone --branch=wide --sparse . sparse-index-v3 &&
+	(
+		cd sparse-index-v3 &&
+		git sparse-checkout init --cone --sparse-index &&
+		git sparse-checkout set $SPARSE_CONE &&
+		git config index.version 3 &&
+		git update-index --index-version=3
+	) &&
+	git -c core.sparseCheckoutCone=true clone --branch=wide --sparse . sparse-index-v4 &&
+	(
+		cd sparse-index-v4 &&
+		git sparse-checkout init --cone --sparse-index &&
+		git sparse-checkout set $SPARSE_CONE &&
+		git config index.version 4 &&
+		git update-index --index-version=4
 	)
 '
 
 test_perf_on_all () {
 	command="$@"
-	for repo in full-index-v3 full-index-v4
+	for repo in full-index-v3 full-index-v4 \
+		    sparse-index-v3 sparse-index-v4
 	do
 		test_perf "$command ($repo)" "
 			(
-- 
gitgitgadget