Subject: Re: git whatchanged

From: "Kristoffer Haugsbakk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2025 14:11:52 +0100

On Fri, Nov 7, 2025, at 12:40, Franz Brauße wrote:
> I am using "git whatchanged" on a regular basis to understand what
> files specific commits touched and in what way.

This command is being removed because it was supplanted by git-log(1) a
long while ago. Both commands use the same machinery, just with
different defaults.

You can replace it with `git log` in this way:

• Given: `git whatchanged <opts>`
• Replace with: `git log <opts> --no-merges --raw`

Additionally for the sake of readability, you might have more
use for `--stat` or `--name-only` rather than `--raw` if you are only
reading the output (not feeding the output to another program).

> I vote for not removing this functionality from git.

The intent behind the message was not to cast a vote but I can totally
understand it being read that way.

See: https://git-scm.com/docs/BreakingChanges

-- 
Kristoffer Haugsbakk