Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH 1/2] rebase, am: add --reviewby option

From: Phillip Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2025 14:38:47 +0100

On 07/05/2025 11:39, Kristoffer Haugsbakk wrote:
> On Wed, May 7, 2025, at 12:26, Phillip Wood wrote:
> 
>> It might be worth thinking about how we could extend the trailer option
>> so that it uses the committer identity if there is no value specified
>> which would reduce the pain of adding things like Reviewed-by:
> 
> That could be confusing for people who use trailers for
> non-ident metadata.

Yes we need to think about how to do it in a way that is helpful for 
things like Reviewed-by: or Tested-by: but does not break other 
workflows. One possibility would be to have a 
trailer.<name>.defaultValue config key but I'd be interested in other 
people's ideas.

One other idea is that "git commit --author Kristoffer" will search 
recent commits for matching author to obtain your full name and email 
address. Something like that could be useful for expanding values 
--tailer=Co-Authored-by" or perhaps we could teach the completion script 
to suggest suitable completions based on some config describing the 
values we expect for certain keys.

> I was wondering if `git var GIT_COMMITTER_IDENT` could be used.  But
> that prints a Unix timestamp with timezone as well. (I don’t really
> understand why after reading that part of the manual)
> 
I think it is because with define GIT_*_IDENT to include the timestamp 
to match the ident lines in commit and tag objects. You can always trim 
the timestamp appending something like "| sed 's/[^>]*$//'".

Best Wishes

Phillip