Subject: Re: [PATCH] headers: Preserve 'change-id' header in rebase / cherry-pick.

From: Phillip Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2026 10:55:00 +0100

On 07/04/2026 05:58, Nico Williams wrote:
> 
> Maybe that's the trick: local configuration for determining the
> copy-or-drop semantic for different operations, and maybe hooks for
> altering when copying.

I think the danger with making it configurable is that you cannot rely 
on the semantics because they vary between commits created by different 
authors. If we could get agreement on

  - Should cherry-pick copy the header

  - What to do with the header when a commit is split. Three options
    spring to mind (1) create new change-ids for all the new commits (2)
    create new change-ids but also copy the old one (3) allow the user to
    specify which new commit should copy the existing change-id and
    create new change-ids for the other commits.

  - What to do when commits are squashed - should the new commit copy all
    of change-ids? Should it have a new change-id?

Then I think it'd be much clearer what the implementation should do.

Thanks

Phillip