Subject: Re: Pretty format color bug

From: Raphael Bauer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 01:15:47 +0100

> I think you've found a "bug" or unexpected feature, but it's not in git,
> but in your pager.
> 
> Try:
>      PAGER=cat git log --pretty=format:'%h%Cred%+d test'

Interesting, cat works correctly.
But this still fails for me:
PAGER=cat git log --pretty=format:'%h%Cred%+d test' --graph

The pipe symbol printed (because of --graph) for the second line is 
colored and resets the color of the refnames and 'test'.
Now this looks like a bug in git?

> I'm assuming you're using "less" and are about to read about its
> behavior of resetting colors that are still in effect when it hits a
> newline.

There is a section (-R) that mentions less assumes every line starts 
normal / uncolored. Shouldn't git follow this assumption when printing 
colorized to less?