Subject: [PATCH v3 1/3] docs(diff): lose incorrect claim about `diff-files --diff-filter=A`

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 12:02:48 +0000

From: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>

Originally, before we had `--intent-to-add`, there was no way that `git
diff-files` could see added files: if a file did not exist in the index,
`git diff-files` would not show it because it looks only at worktree
files when there is an index entry at the same path.

We used this example in the documentation of the diff options to explain
that not every `--diff-filter=<option>` has an effect in all scenarios.

Even when we added `--intent-to-add`, the comment was still correct,
because initially we showed such files as modified instead of added.

However, when that bug was fixed in feea6946a5b (diff-files: treat
"i-t-a" files as "not-in-index", 2020-06-20), the comment in the
documentation became incorrect.

Let's just remove it.

Signed-off-by: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>
---
 Documentation/diff-options.txt | 7 ++-----
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 5 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/diff-options.txt b/Documentation/diff-options.txt
index c89d530d3d1..2549df0d212 100644
--- a/Documentation/diff-options.txt
+++ b/Documentation/diff-options.txt
@@ -616,11 +616,8 @@ ifndef::git-format-patch[]
 Also, these upper-case letters can be downcased to exclude.  E.g.
 `--diff-filter=ad` excludes added and deleted paths.
 +
-Note that not all diffs can feature all types. For instance, diffs
-from the index to the working tree can never have Added entries
-(because the set of paths included in the diff is limited by what is in
-the index).  Similarly, copied and renamed entries cannot appear if
-detection for those types is disabled.
+Note that not all diffs can feature all types. For instance, copied and
+renamed entries cannot appear if detection for those types is disabled.
 
 -S<string>::
 	Look for differences that change the number of occurrences of
-- 
gitgitgadget